Thursday, September 18, 2014

Tales From Thalpawila - 1

Sahayoge !

“Sahayoge aaaawaaaa”

“Sahayoge aaaawaaaa”

The cry erupts in the morning air and sends the birds flying. It also announces the arrival of a man on a foot bike with a big wooden box fitted at the back. The box has a cover made with a few wooden planks fitted together and has a weighing scale hung on the side and a huge knife stuck into a crevice in the box. The man himself is rather young and dressed in a sarong and a white banian and has a thick mop of hair falling over his forehead. His stentorian voice rings out across the village and brings the village folk out of their huts and houses to inspect his wares.

The year is 1972, I am 05 years old, and “Sahayoge” is a local fish seller who comes riding most days through my village, Thalpawila, in the deep innards of Matara.

I run out of my grandma’s house where I spent the early part of my childhood and look up the road. There is a slight hill at the top of the road and I see him come racing down and stop near the turn off to our house.

“Iskole Haminey, Malu oney?”, he shouts from the road calling out to my grandmother. My grandma is a School teacher and a principal long retired but everyone calls her “Isokle Haminey”.

Grandma comes out of the house and waves at “Sahayoge” asking him to come and show her the fish he has for sale.

In a flash the man is riding down the path that leads to the house and he alights grinning from ear to ear.

Ada showk balayo tikkak thiyeyi, thawa gal malu, panno hemath inno.” The list of fish is rattled off as he talks non stop while showing off the fish in the box.

We had many fish sellers who used to come through our village, but to me “sahayoge” is fascinating. Where as the others come riding slowly and calling “maalo, maalo”, he always yells “sahayoge aaawaaa” and rides through the village on his bike at top speed. His loud voice can be heard for many a mile and villagers know he is coming long before they actually see him.

He always smiles at everyone he sees and never worries even if you buy from him or not.

He can make the fish in his box seem like works of art from the ocean. The way he holds each variety up and makes them dance in his hands, creates in my mind images of the fish swimming and leaping across the waves. His box has fish of many varieties, colors and sizes and they all seem eager to join in with “sahayoge” to please the customer.  The fish are from the mornings catch from “Gandara wella”, so they are really very fresh.

He throws back his unruly hair and grins at me as I peep over the edge of the box to look.

“Aa, baby mahaththayath aawada?” he calls me affectionately as he holds a huge black and silver fish by the tail.

Grandma selects a fish and “sahayoge”, weighs it using his scale and then takes the huge knife and a wooden board from the side of the fish box and as I watch with my mouth hung open he uses the massive weapon to cut and clean the fish with lightning speed, and puts the pieces into a clay pot which has been brought out. The discarded pieces are thrown to crows and a black and white cat which have been prowling around and they fall upon these with relish.

“Sahayoge”, washes his knife from the water in the bucket near our well and sticks it back into the crevice in his box , and back goes the wooden board with it and the lid is then firmly closed. 

“Aa, menna salli”, he pockets the money that my Grandma gives him and spins the bike around.

“Ehenan, Iskoley Haminey man yano”, he bows to my grandma, who smiles at him.

My grandma takes the pot filled with fish to the kitchen where I know she will make her delicious “Embul Thiyal” with it.

I watch as the bike reaches the top of the path and turns left onto the road that travels the length of our village and joins the main road.

As he flies down the road on his bike I hear him call out,

“Sahayoge aaaawaaaa”


No comments:

Post a Comment